Randal Munroe’s What If has been on top of every chart imaginable and people love it. There’s nothing of substance I can add to that.
I’m not a devout reader of XKCD but enjoy it quite a bit. Pretty much the same goes for the book. I’ve read it in four days because it’s fascinating and funny.
Which questions did I like the most:
- spent nuclear fuel pool,
- laser pointers,
- hair dryer,
- last light on after a sudden disappearance of humans,
- elimination of common cold by complete isolation,
- half empty glass,
- longest free-fall,
- lEgO bridge over Atlantic,
- drainage of oceans - go South Netherlands! - and
- oceanification of Mars - go New Netherlands!
and of course the worrying questions from the inbox.
Which I didn’t like:
- time travel to New York - what’s the point?,
- most flown over state,
- longest sunset - I totally didn’t get this and
- neutrino bullets - what do people have about bullets and guns?
If you’re at all curious about the world go and read or listen to it.
Could you survive a tidal wave by submerging yourself in an in-ground pool? Chris Muska
Reaction is charted on chart with axes labeled sounds smart - sounds dumb and actually smart - actually dumb and it’s further than Invading Russia in winter
Randal Munroe: What If